Posted in General Embroidery, Uncategorized, tagged brooch, canvaswork, crochet, darning knitting, DMC, earrings, embroidery on netting, Encyclopaedia of Needlework, etsy, etsy shop, filigree lace, french knots, Josie Storey, needlelace, openwork, pillow lace, seed beads, sequins, shell stitch, silk, tassels, tatting, upcycled jewellery, velvet on 10/06/2016|
3 Comments »
I showed you this amazing book
in my last post. Without even opening it, it’s a thing of beauty, from those William Morris-esque willow leaves sprawling across the spine and cover to the black and gold DMC logo end papers. And so small, only 5 and a half inches high, 4 inches wide and an inch and a half thick so it sits snugly in the hand.
Rachel is right – I have so much I want to do that I don’t think I’ll get round to any of the projects any time soon, but it is just lovely to sit and browse through.
Although I am very tempted to try out this canvaswork Shell Stitch.
Knitting is covered…
…as is crochet…
…embroidery on netting…
…various types of lace…
…and so much more.
I’ve done some more finishing of small projects. Firstly the french knot encrusted blue velvet spiral brooch from the sample piece I started on the Lush, Plush and Crush workshop we did at the Guild with Josie Storey a few months back. From this:
I’ve also created a pair of silk strip wrapped and beaded hoop earrings using some lovely ombre dyed silk strips from Stef Francis and vintage seed beads and sequins over a pair of vintage plastic earrings.
Read Full Post »
Beachcombing the tideline is one of my favourite things to do on any beach and I wanted to create a high tideline that looked like a dark scribble across the sand.
Layers of feather stitching, both underneath and on top, straight stitches, couching and needlelace created the look I wanted, with a twisted cord made from turquoise sewing cotton to look like washed up fragments of fishing nets.
More twisted turquoise cords held down wherever the other stitches crossed them and an orange needlelace section for a piece of smashed buoy.
The top section is fly stitches on vintage silk grosgrain.
The fabric pen bled badly but the outlines of the traced clipart footprints are still clear enough to see. I tried satin stitch initially but couldn’t get the sharpness I wanted so I’ve back stitched them with tiny stitches and used bullion knots and french knots for the toes.
I might satin stitch inside the outlines after they’re all stitched and the pen is washed out to see how that works.
Read Full Post »
I know what textile art in the house is my own work, but when my youngest attributed a large machine embroidery hanging by the Cornish artist Karen Howse to me several months ago, I decided that if only for the family’s benefit I would try to sign and date my work.
For the North Cornwall Wallhanging I decided to make a traditional quilt label by adapting one of the designs from a Bareroots Quilt and Stitchery labels pattern I picked up on eBay a while ago.
It’s stitched on some of the same silk dupion I used for part of the front of the hanging in a mixture of hand-dyed cotton perle (for ‘handmade by’), stranded Gloriana silk (for ‘Alex 2011’) medium weight hand-dyed silk for the border and coton a broder for the seashell.
I think the original design had a heart at the bottom but I wanted to continue the sea theme that plays such a big part in our holidays to Cornwall and the memories stitched into the blocks on the front so I decided to replace it with a stumpwork scallop shell.
It’s padded with dark pink felt (I started it at a rehearsal and that was all I had in my bag!) and then I backstitched radiating lines along it to keep it in place and also as guidelines for where I wanted to put the ribs of the scallop later.
In between the ribs I worked rows of Corded Brussels Stitch to cover the felt. the little ‘wings’ at the bottom are buttonhole stitch fans.
The ribs were then whipped with a slightly darker coloured stranded cotton. to make them stand out. Keeping them straight when all the stitching is raised and textured was difficult!
Finally, french knots in some of my favourite yellow medium weight silk. The original design had just one at each ‘stalk’ end but that looked a bit sparse so I went for trios with the gold and blue scheme echoing the colours on the front.
Ready to be mitred and stitched onto the back of the hanging.
Read Full Post »