More from my Lake District 2015 Holiday Journal. A very simple lay out this one, just to remind me of the well-earned drink we had at Sticklebarn on the valley walk we took at the second attempt!
Whipped back stitch around the shadows of the fells in the background.
And moving swiftly on…
Posted in Holiday Journal | Tagged embroidery on paper, holiday journal, journal, journalling, Lake District, Sticklebarn, whipped back stitch | 4 Comments »
I completed the last section of the crazy patchwork with some wheatear stitch and then forgot to take a photo of the completed flat piece before I stitched it into a tube and inserted the bead. But you get the idea.
Once the wooden bead was inside…
…I stabilised the back of the embroidery that was sticking over the ends with Modge Podge and clipped it like a fringe so I could gradually tuck the ends into the hole of the bead for a neat finish.
To make up into a pendant I used a piece of gold tone wire and threaded on first a handmade glass bead with lovely greeny-brown flowers on a deep dark red base. This sat nicely in the hollow at the end of the embroidered bead. Then I used a hand made clay bead with a slightly metallic gold/green glaze that also nestled nicely into the hollow at the top before turning over the end of the wire to make a bale.
I was going to hang it from a beaded chain, but that quickly proved to look far too busy, so a simple hand dyed ribbon was enough to finish it off.
And it’s in my Etsy shop here.
Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged bead, crazy patchwork, etsy, etsy shop, pendant, wheatear stitch | 4 Comments »
During our Easter holiday in the Lake Dstrict we visited John Ruskin’s house at Brantwood, on Coniston Water and among the inspirations photos I took were a couple of the lovely whitework embroidery on one of the pillows.
Perfect to work as a sample for my journal. I’ve used the corner of an old chair back, which is a nice heavy cotton and a couple of different thicknesses of white perle thread.
It’s meant to be similar, not identical. The grass-type spray is bullion knots with long tails on a stem stitch stalk. The flowers are padded satin stitch, in this case satin stitch over a chain stitch outline. The centres are just five straight stitches with a french knot in the middle.
Then I moved onto a flower created from a cluster of French knots. I’ve used the thicker perle in the centre and then started round the edges with the thinner perle to give a domed shape.
First time I’ve tried traditional white work and it’s coming along nicely.
Posted in Holiday Journal | Tagged Brantwood, bullion knots, french knots, Lake District, perle, stem stitch, whitework | 5 Comments »
Last month, following her talk at our branch of the Embroiderers’ Guild, some of us took a Workshop with Linda Rudkin on Sculpting Silk Paper. In the morning we used natural silk fibres to make a flat piece of silk paper. I decided to make several small pieces with the thought of using them to make cards.
I added some woad dyed skeleton leaves provided by Linda…
…and later in the day had some time to embellish them with embroidery.
Liking the way the soft blues work with the creamy natural silk, I also added some pieces of hand dyed cotton and sashiko stitching.
In the afternoon we used solid objects such as shells and stones and formed the silk fibres around them to make solid shapes. I used two shells:
And experimented with the texture in a piece of driftwood.
Plenty to play with.
Posted in Uncategorized | 3 Comments »
As soon as I saw the lovely photograph of silver birches in the autumn at Clumber Park which the owner of the next travelling book had requested to use as a stimulus, I knew exactly what I wanted to stitch. This is usually fatal. I rarely find that my fumbling attempts in reality match up to the clear and beautiful picture in my head. But…this time it actually did!
The black and white graphic quality of the trunks said blackwork and once I’d found a close-up image from the internet to work from, I was away.
I found some lovely mossy green hand-dyed aida for the background and a variety of weights of silk and cotton thread to stitch with.
Rather than using blackwork patterns, I simply sketched the trunks from the internet picture in thread rather than ink. One of the key features in my mental picture was that there was no edge to the trunks, leaving the eye to fill in the gaps. This means that the image works rather better from a distance than up close.
The right-hand page was already pre-coloured and the source photo can be seen top left. I added the image I’d used from the internet as well as a suitable quote on the inspiration page and mounted the blackwork on the right.
Very proud of this one!
Posted in Travelling books | Tagged blackwork, free blackwork, Scunthorpe Embroiderers' Guild, silver birch, travelling book | 11 Comments »
Another committee meeting gave me the time to crack on with my crazy patchwork bead.
Scattered lazy daisy stitches in variegated green silk with occasional french knots.
Lines of herringbone stitch which I may or may not lace.
And the start of some chain stitch stems which will have wheat ear stitch tops.
Very close to a finish!
Posted in Crazy patchwork | Tagged chain stitch, crazy patchwork, french knots, herringbone stitch, lazy daisy stitch | 6 Comments »