These have both been underway for a while but have taken rather longer to finish than I hoped as neither of them quite was going the way I wanted. However, now they feel right.
First, the eyelets block. I started it off with the eyelets embedded in french knots,
but that was too busy and I felt the eyelet shapes were obscured, so I took all the knots out and left it as just eyelets. I covered the surface, avoiding the rust patches and it ended up like this:
Which was better, but still, somehow, not right. It felt unfinished. So I decided to close the gaps with more eyelets in various sizes and shapes and use half eyelets around the edges.
It feels finished now, somehow and more coherent.
The other block came from some beads I found which, as you can see from the photo, were shaped like spools. I wanted to do something taking advantage of that, both stitching the beads down and winding thread between them.
I started off scattering the beads randomly over the fabric and then lacing between them with variegated metallic Madeira thread.
I liked the crisscross lacing, but the thread was a little too thin and the long lines too loopy and then when I got round to the rest of the spools, it was just too random. So I finished lacing it anyway but by then found that the long threads weren’t stable, so then I had to think of a way of holding the threads securely and came up with french knots in turquoise silk.
Some are stitched actually over the long threads and then I clumped some round the beads.
I hated it. There was only one thing to do so I did it, and if you’ve ever had to unpick literally dozens of french knots… By the time I’d finished I had a clean slate and knew it was the right decision.
Organised regular pattern of beads and turquoise silk lacing. Slightly more random and irregular straight stitches on the beads.
It’s not my favourite of all the blocks but it’s much better than the way it was. And now I have nine finished and another one underway!