Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘quiltlet’

Apologies – March has been mad. Between trying to shake illness and most of my workshops and courses all coming at once, things have been crazy. So, to catch up!

The found objects plastic rings piece I blogged about back in February, came together like a dream. I wanted to use it as a sample piece for a Found Objects Workshop I taught at Hull Embroiderers’ Guild at the end of March. (There is a lovely post about the workshop on their Facebook page.) It was a lot of fun trying out different ways of attaching the rings, including lazy daisy stitch, sheaf stitch and chain stitch.

I finished it as a quiltlet, with a border of strip patchwork, which makes it nice and robust to handle.

dav

Love the indigo dyed back.

dav

I also taught a Beaded Oglala Stitch workshop with Brigg Allsorts (a local stitching group) the same week, so after having made a sampler of variants of the stitch…

IMG_20190318_122937.jpg

…I started another found objects piece I could use with both workshops as it combined Beaded Oglala with found objects. It worked surprisingly well as a method of attaching the vintage key and I’m very pleased with the effect.

IMG_20190319_164854.jpg

I had a fabulous time teaching the workshop with the ladies in Hull and they produced some lovely work.

IMG_20190323_163136.jpgIMG_20190323_163133.jpg

IMG_20190323_163140.jpg

IMG_20190323_163148.jpg

We also had a fantastic workshop ourselves at Scunthorpe Embroiderers’ Guild in February, doing Print to Stitch with Jan Dowson.

IMG_20190223_112225.jpg

Jan had made us some great kits with paisley shaped printing blocks in them as a main focus…

IMG_20190223_112220.jpg

…but I had a couple of my own stamps that I wanted to use as well. Medieval tile first.

IMG_20190223_114826.jpg

Then the paisley. We used acrylic paints and instead of rollering it onto the block, I dabbed random areas of paint to get a mottled effect.

IMG_20190223_115838.jpg

Jan had also put some pieces of compressed foam into the kits. You can cut them with scissors into any shape and then drop them into water to get a sponge printing block, which is how I got  the over-printed tear drop shapes inside the paisleys.

IMG_20190223_121107.jpg

Lastly I had a shell stamp from home to play with.

IMG_20190223_122028.jpg

I love the look of the paint on the stamps…

IMG_20190223_122035.jpg

…and on the palettes.

IMG_20190223_122012.jpg

Once we had our printed fabric…

IMG_20190223_130449.jpg

…time to stitch. The border of the paisleys was a perfect place for Pekinese Stitch. Rayon back stitch for a bit of shine, interlaced with all six strands of a variegated stranded cotton thread.

IMG_20190223_150749.jpg

I will try harder on here, honestly! It’s all Susan from Stitchery Stories‘ fault – she recommended I got myself onto Instagram and I have been properly sucked in. It is so much quicker when you are busy – or lazy!!

Read Full Post »