Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘perle’

It is high time I started to practise my metal-working skills again so I decided to start small, cutting out a rose leaf shape from sheet brass and piercing it with holes before I textured it with the hammer.

20161230_165429_HDR.jpg

Then I used some green perle and using the holes, put in the foundation stitches for a woven spider’s web which I worked in a gorgeous variegated pink and green silk ribbon.

20161230_180120_HDR.jpg

It worked out perfectly so I had a green centre shading out to the deep pink edge. I neatened it up with a piece of pink kid leather over the back and added a jump ring to turn it into a sweet little mixed media pendant.

20161230_214214_hdr

One of my Christmas presents was a Dremel engraver so I had a bit of a play with that, first using one of the included stencils to add a rustic star shape to a piece of sea glass which I then turned into a pendant.

20170101_154256_HDR.jpg

Then I moved on to a piece of reticulated brass which I created on the silversmithing course I took in Sheffield a few years ago. I had deliberately worked the reticulation from either end of the piece of brass in order to leave a smooth bridge between them for some text. Finally, I had the tool to add the lettering!

I used uncial script and the H of ‘haven’ looks a bit like an R, unfortunately, but I really like the way the engraver worked on the brass.

20161230_205035_HDR.jpg

I turned this into yet another pendant and gave it a lovely vintage sari silk strip ribbon to hang from in crimson and gold.

20170101_130406_HDR.jpg

My other Christmas present thanks to some vouchers was a doming set and I was dying to have a go at doming some old coins that I’d accumulated. Tiny bronze British decimal half pennies seemed to work best and I combined one that I’d hammered into a hemisphere with a ‘cornflake’ of reticulated brass that I’d also domed. I drilled them both through the middle and chose an odd stud earring with purple diamantes like stamens of a flower to connect them together.

20170101_135614_hdr

20170101_135518_HDR.jpg

I’ve got a piece of fantastically patterned gilding metal to which I hope to attach the ‘flower’ which I can then turn into a brooch. It’s been good to play with metal again!

Read Full Post »

I couldn’t resist the little shy bird from Shibden Hall, peeking out from under his wing. I cropped the photo and printed him out in various sizes before copying him onto calico.

DSCN1914.JPG

We went off to Rievaulx Abbey a couple of weekends ago to attend their Murder Mystery weekend  and he was perfect to pop into my bag to work on while the rest of the family solved murders, explored the ruins, decorated a wooden shield and walked up the bank to Rievaulx Terrace.  What a view to look at while I stitched…

20160717_153728_HDR.jpg

…and behind me, down the Rye valley .

20160717_153700_HDR.jpg

His outline is worked in split stitch using a heavy vintage perle thread.

20160717_153716_HDR.jpg

It wasn’t long before we were out again, this time to Tolethorpe Hall to watch the Stamford Shakespeare Company’s production of The Tempest.

More wonderful surroundings…

20160723_193420_HDR.jpg

…and they have this amazing Kaffe Fassett tapestry.

20160723_193235_HDR.jpg

20160723_193242_HDR.jpg20160723_193255_HDR.jpg

We took a picnic, as is traditional, and the play was really good. I taught The Tempest this year as part of the Shakespeare 400 celebrations so now I know it really well, which enhanced the whole experience.

Shy bird came out after the picnic and I managed to add one foot in split stitch and start the Bayeux stitch for his wing in crewel wool.

DSCN1917.JPG

DSCN1919.JPG

He’s a well travelled little bird!

Read Full Post »

First the french knots…

From this:

DSCN0726

to this:

DSCN0910.JPG

I’ve focussed on finishing the top edges and am trying to reduce the amount of white at the bottom. It’s still very slow going!

And now for something completely different. I’m upcycling another damaged brooch.

DSCN0901.JPG

Apart from the loss of one of the ribs, it’s in lovely condition.

DSCN0902.JPG

My idea, to fill the ribs with weaving.

DSCN0914.JPG

A nice heavy spring green perle has a lovely shine to it.

DSCN0917.JPG

The silver metal central vein and the edges should contrast nicely with the glossy thread and a little ladybird charm will sit over the damaged area.

Read Full Post »

During our Easter holiday in the Lake District we visited Blackwell, an amazing Arts and Crafts house near Windermere and among the inspirations photos I took were a couple of the lovely whitework embroidery on one of the pillows.

Whitework pillow at Brantwood

Perfect to work as a sample for my journal. I’ve used the corner of an old chair back, which is a nice heavy cotton and a couple of different thicknesses of white perle thread.

Whitework beginning 1

It’s meant to be similar, not identical. The grass-type spray is bullion knots with long tails on a stem stitch stalk. The flowers are padded satin stitch, in this case satin stitch over a chain stitch outline. The centres are just five straight stitches with a french knot in the middle.

Whitework beginning 2

Then I moved onto a flower created from a cluster of French knots. I’ve used the thicker perle in the centre and then started round the edges with the thinner perle to give a domed shape.

Whitework beginning 3

First time I’ve tried traditional white work and it’s coming along nicely.

Read Full Post »