Posted in Jewellery, Upcycling, tagged brooch, cherry blossom, etsy, etsy shop, french knots, lazy daisy stitch, leaves, pelmet vilene, stem stitch, Summer Meadow Brooch, upcycled jewellery, upcycling on 05/02/2017|
2 Comments »
A couple of years ago I was delighted to come across a vintage white metal brooch with spaces I could fill with stitching. An offcut of pelment vilene and a few french knots later, I created one of my first upcycled brooches.
So I was delighted when I found a very similar brooch recently. Pink vilene this time…
…and tiny stem and lazy daisy stitches in a single strand of silk made tree branches with leaves.
Another branch on the other side with cream french knots for cherry blossom and odd blossoms and leaves in the central section.
Mounted into the brooch.
And popped into my Etsy shop. Another quick finish.
Read Full Post »
Posted in Jewellery, Upcycling, Victorian box project, tagged beach glass, beaded blanket stitch, etsy, etsy shop, felt, found objects, french knots, pelmet vilene, sea glass, Seaham sea glass, upcycling, Victorian box project, watch case pendant on 20/11/2016|
4 Comments »
I put the final french knot into my huge piece for the Victorian Box Project two days ago and after nearly 15 months, it was a fabulous feeling!
I stabilised the back before I sent to bed so it could dry overnight and the next morning got the box out ready to attach the stitching. So excited! I laid it over the top of the box and stretched it over the sides and that was then I discovered that it had shrunk somewhere and wasn’t going to fit. Fortunately I have some leeway around the edges, but it’s back to the drawing board for the moment.
So to cheer myself up I picked up the brown and gold sea glass watch case pendant I showed a couple of posts ago.
I love those tiny nuggets of very rare yellow sea glass I picked up at Seaham and the colours work perfectly with the watch case.
I’ve also started a real upcycled piece, creating something from nothing. I started with an offcut of some hand made felt I was cutting up for another project and a piece of bent gold coloured wire that came out of a job lot of broken jewellery. Trimming the felt slightly I evened up the shape and attached the wire with straight stitches in fine silk thread. The longer stitches were topped with french knots – what else! – in a heavier mercerised cotton and I used the same thread for running stitch around the edge.
I attached a pelmet vilene backing with beaded blanket stitch…
…and an odd link I took off a vintage rolled gold watch strap yesterday will make the perfect bale to turn it into a pendant.
Read Full Post »