Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘pearl purl’

Another finished piece, this time a pendant. I started with an early attempt at reticulation, which worked beautifully in one part of the brass but didn’t spread to the rest of the piece.

Volcano pendant 1

I then cut it out with a hacksaw, tidied up the central hole and polished it.

Volcano pendant 2

Initially I wanted to stitch it onto black silk, until I found a piece of black cotton velvet. The edges of the brass and the pearl purl sink so nicely into the pile of the velvet and it gives another wonderful textural contrast.

Volcano pendant 3

I took Rachel’s advice after I’d blogged about the blue spirals brooch and stretched the purls slightly before I stitched them down. Much neater.

Volcano pendant 5

Some of the longest bullions I’ve ever stitched, and with a slightly slubby thread too. The bullions and the purl are actually holding the metal to the fabric.

Volcano pendant 6

Volcano pendant 7

Volcano pendant 8

I finished off the french knots inside the hole and added some trios in a dark red silk thread to the ends of the purls.

Volcano pendant 8

The pendant is two almond shapes cut from pelmet vilene which are laminated together and the velvet laced over them.

Volcano pendant 9

The back is another slightly smaller single piece of vilene which has been covered with black kimono silk with a slightly crepey texture.

Volcano pendant 10

This was invisibly ladder stitched onto the black velvet and the bale stitched on with red thread.

Volcano pendant 11

Volcano pendant 12

And boxed.

Volcano pendant 13

I really feel I want to do something more with these pieces of jewellery than just accumulate them like I do with my purely textile work. I was wondering if they might be the sort of thing that would sell on etsy… Any thoughts from the wise?

Read Full Post »

One of the options I was considering for attaching my reticulated metal to fabric was couching heavy goldwork metal threads at either side of the metal and letting the rigidity of the threads hold it in place.

I had the other section of the thin brass rectangle that had melted into two and also given me the piece I used in the fire pendant…

Blue spirals 1

…some oddments of pearl purl in two thicknesses and the last of the intense sapphire coloured silk I’d used for the Eregion pendant.

Blue spirals 2

The reticulated brass piece was stitched onto the silk with straight stitches in Gutermann metallic gold thread over some of the narrower sections just to keep it in place before I started on the main couching. It’s possible to see the stitches but they really are very well camouflaged against the metal.

It’s only the second time I’ve used pearl purl but the moment I started to couch the spirals with the same thread I’d used to stitch down the brass, I knew it was right.

Blue spirals 3

The brass sits firmly in place under the coils of wire.

Blue spirals 4

Blue spirals 5

Blue spirals 6

Blue spirals 7

Blue spirals 8

Definitely a technique I want to use again.

Next time, I need to make sure all the stitches slide down between the coils of the purl and they could also all be a little smaller, neater and closer to the purl, but I was so delighted with the effect that I was rather stitching in a hurry to see where it was going.

Blue spirals 9

I just adore the colour combination, which surprises me, because when it comes to the jewellery I wear, I’m strictly a silver lover. But this…

It’s a bit big for a pendant so I’m going to finish it as a brooch. Not my favourite part, but I need the hoop for the volcano piece.

Read Full Post »

The angelina flower has been proving a bit of a problem. I outlined it with whipped back stitch in a purple/green metallic thread…
Angelina flower finish 1

…and then wanted to do something in the middle. I initially thought a random patch of beading or possibly chipwork and since the beads were easier to get to than the goldwork stuff, I started with beads, stitched about thirty on and didn’t like it. The edge needed to be more clearly defined and the beads themselves gave too heavy an effect.

So I hunted out my goldwork threads and started to play with different layouts and ideas. When I found a piece of pearl purl and laid it in a curve around the edge of the central area, I knew this was what I wanted.

Angelina flower finish 2

I was going to simply cut the purl when I got to the middle and leave it as a straightforward spiral, but I saw the way the working end flicked across the spiral and felt it was a neater and more unusual way of finishing.

Angelina flower finish 3

It’s been a real slow process thinking my way through this very small project but I’ve been able to do something different and even better, when I was going through my gold work threads I found a selection in copper which I’d forgotten I had (oh the shame…) and which I’ve put on one side for possible inclusion in the rusting  quilt.

Read Full Post »