Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘laid couching’

In the end, Baby Leaf-tailed Dragon wasn’t finished for show week and in total, I only managed to put half a dozen stitches in him on stage the entire week, most of which had to be unpicked and restitched later! But ‘The Fifth Elephant’ went well and we had lots of positive comments from Pratchett fans, some of whom had travelled some distance to come and see the show.  No rest for the am dram wicked though – last performance of ‘The Fifth Elephant’ on Saturday and tonight (Monday) is the first casting reading for panto!

I did manage to get some stitching done in the interval though, so all the Bayeux Stitch is completed and I’ve started the couched outline. It neatens the edge up a treat.

IMG_20191006_104838.jpg

Since the Baby Leaf-tailed Dragon and his frame were props for a scene in Act 1, I had to find something else to sew before curtain up and I decided to experiment with a banner style brooch using an odd kilt pin. I had a few small pieces left of a wool jumper I felted a while ago and turned variously into a cushion cover, a pair of mittens and some earring cases.

I added some commercial grey marl felt and an odd earring drop…

IMG_20190927_123017.jpg

…blanket stitch, french knots…

IMG_20190927_123033.jpg

…sequins, a bead, split stitch and detached chain stitch…

IMG_20190927_214704.jpg

…before finishing with a kantha stitched back ground in shimmery blending filament, a beaded blanket stitch edging which joined it to the grey felt back and blanket stitching it to the kilt pin in stranded silk thread.

IMG_20191004_192739.jpg

A fun little project and I particularly like the subtle sparkle you get from the blending filament.

Read Full Post »

Sneaks back in looking shamefaced… Sorry I disappeared – the summer has been a bit busy and trying to get all the various things I want to spend the rest of my working life doing off the ground has eaten up time in a frightening manner. I am trying to make the most of the evaporating minutes by being more disciplined, which includes making dedicated time for my blog again.

The free frame I found outside a local charity shop back in July was just what I needed to get back to my Baby Leaf-Tailed Dragon, which I began back in 2015! I had started him off in a large hoop, but as I wasn’t happy with the tension I didn’t continue, but the frame was perfect and once I had stitched him into it, he was my project of choice to work on for National Stitching Day back in early August at 2021 Visual Arts Centre in Scunthorpe.

Back in 2015 he looked like this:

Baby leaf-tailed dragon green section 3

My first job was to finish putting the vertical threads in on the green section.

dav

And then to start couching them down.

IMG_20180804_140253.jpg

I really enjoy working this stitch. I love the texture of it once the vertical stitches are all couched down. Baby Dragon got a lot of interest from visitors, especially the men, who were more interested in the historical aspect and it seems that I’m not the only one who likes the texture – everyone wanted to touch it!

Once his back was completed, I moved on to the purple leaves on his tail.

IMG_20180807_214251.jpg

It is lovely to do something that works up so quickly, especially in comparison with some of my french knot work!

Since National Stitch Day I have had a couple of committee meetings and been able to move onto his tummy, legs and chest.

IMG_20180822_182014.jpg

He is a great deal larger than my usual meeting stitching projects but at least nobody sits too close!

Read Full Post »