I love spiky allium heads. After having done some ‘long shots’ on a couple of the sections in my bluework bowl, I decided that I wanted the next section to be a closer view and I chose an allium head for that.
First, the main stem in herringbone stitch and the stems which carry the flower heads radiating from a central point.
Then a solid couple of hours stitching through a committee meeting got the six petalled individual florets in lazy daisy stitch added.
I used the same variegated silk to outline the stem in split stitch and then built up adjoining rows of split stitch to form the leaf.
As all the other sections are in Victorian china style blue and white, I wanted to introduce other shades of blue, but I’m not entirely convinced now…