Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘flowers’

Only four of us in the group this time, so this one, stitched for Sandra in keeping with her flowers theme, is my last page of the round. I enjoyed discovering new stitches when I stitched Val’s leaves last month, so I went for the same Sue Spargo inspired idea in turquoise and purple/pink.

First new stitch courtesy of Mary Thomas: Braided Edging Stitch. It looks like blanket stitch from the top, but has a lovely chained effect on the edge. Getting the tension right was interesting initially, but I really like the effect.

20170223_183128_HDR.jpg

Then whipped running stitch ‘petals’, using a very slubby pure silk thread for the whipping.

20170224_084308_HDR.jpg

I filled two of the ‘petals’ with Trellis Stitch…

20170224_145259_HDR.jpg

…the top one with Vandyke Stitch (not too happy with the stitching on that, but I needed to work in a thickish thread – the full 6 strands of stranded cotton – to get the right sort of coverage)…

20170224_161419_HDR.jpg

…and the two bottom ones with Buttonhole Filling and a Woven Spiders Web Wheel to hide a multitude of sins in the middle!

20170225_004152_HDR.jpg

The second flower had Berwick Stitch with its lovely edging knots round the outside and then I couched down a line of fabulously soft, thick, loosely twisted, variegated silk to follow the shape.

20170225_013347_HDR.jpg

I decided to use the same thick, soft silk to work Back-stitched Spiders Webs in each of the petals. Foundation stitches first, using a template to make sure they were all the same.

20170225_014229_HDR.jpg

Then adding this glorious silk.

20170225_015740_HDR.jpg

20170225_083840_HDR.jpg

Lastly I filled in the centre with a chain stitch spiral and they were good to go!

20170225_092700_HDR.jpg

Nobody’s book to complete this month so hopefully I can get stuck into the bluework.

Read Full Post »

The cuff book is finished. But I forgot to take a photo of it! Not that it’s changed much – just had the pages stitched to the spine with a single line of pamphlet stitch, decorated with some seed beads.

So is the leather bracelet. Both flowers completed and three matching quartz bead dangles added.

DSCN1179.JPG

DSCN1180.JPG

I finally found the right size drill bit to make setting the cogs easy for the black and white steampunk brooch and once I’d done that, the finishing was easy.

DSCN1168.JPG

Then the embroidered pendant for a bow shaped pendant brooch, missing its drop, was the next to be sorted. It started like this:

DSCN1118.JPG

Then I put three pieces of walnut dyed vintage fabric together and secured them with beaded blanket stitch. The back is a damask, the middle canvas and this side is some embroidered net that I always understood was associated with my great-grandmother who died in 1970.

DSCN1120.JPG

It was a little dull so I went over some of the pattern with silk threads in faded shabby chic tones …

DSCN1171

…and then hung it from the brooch.

DSCN1169

Rather pleased with myself. And to top all that I’ve even got them listed in my Etsy shop:  Flower bracelet, black and white steampunk brooch and pendant brooch. Wonders will never cease!

Read Full Post »

These are finished now and will become birthday cards. It felt very virtuous to use up some oddments of hand dyed perle and silk ribbon for the stems and leaves.

The thickness of the felt gives the flowers a pleasing solidity and three dimensionality as well.

Felted flowers 2a

Felted flowers 2b

I particularly like using ribbon stitch for simple leaves. It’s such a straightforward idea to go back and pierce the top of the ribbon to make the stitch but so very effective.

Felted flowers 2c

I notice I’m just playing around with oddments at the moment rather than getting on with anything more significant but after a very hectic year and in the middle of the usual Christmas madness, I think I’m just going to go with it and see what comes to hand next.

Read Full Post »

I really struggle to throw away scraps of fabric which is probably why so much of my work is based round bits and fragments.

For ‘Guards! Guards!’ I made some felt to pad out and stabilise the helmets worn by the Watch and somehow ended up with an oddment. Not very big, but just big enough to make it impossible for me to throw out. Every time I tried, a little voice pointed out all the things I could do with it and so it sat on my desk until the show was over and I got round to colouring it with water-soluble pastels.

Felt flowers 1

There was enough to cut out six simple little flower shapes and still have the piece above left over.

Felt flowers 2

More bits I couldn’t bear to throw away, this time scraps of yellowish hand dyed cotton and oddments of thread, made the centres. 

Felted flowers 3

Felted flowers 4

Scattered on some hand dyed green cotton.

Felted flowers 5

When the flowers had their french knot and blanket stitch centres and their petals defined, they were blanket stitched onto the green cotton.

Felted flowers 6

Quick, fun and it shut the little voice up – the felt is no longer cluttering up my desk and the voice was right – what a waste it would have been to throw it out!

Somehow, that’s a bit worrying…!!!

Read Full Post »