Posted in Jewellery, Upcycling, Victorian box project, tagged beach glass, beaded blanket stitch, etsy, etsy shop, felt, found objects, french knots, pelmet vilene, sea glass, Seaham sea glass, upcycling, Victorian box project, watch case pendant on 20/11/2016|
4 Comments »
I put the final french knot into my huge piece for the Victorian Box Project two days ago and after nearly 15 months, it was a fabulous feeling!
I stabilised the back before I sent to bed so it could dry overnight and the next morning got the box out ready to attach the stitching. So excited! I laid it over the top of the box and stretched it over the sides and that was then I discovered that it had shrunk somewhere and wasn’t going to fit. Fortunately I have some leeway around the edges, but it’s back to the drawing board for the moment.
So to cheer myself up I picked up the brown and gold sea glass watch case pendant I showed a couple of posts ago.
I love those tiny nuggets of very rare yellow sea glass I picked up at Seaham and the colours work perfectly with the watch case.
I’ve also started a real upcycled piece, creating something from nothing. I started with an offcut of some hand made felt I was cutting up for another project and a piece of bent gold coloured wire that came out of a job lot of broken jewellery. Trimming the felt slightly I evened up the shape and attached the wire with straight stitches in fine silk thread. The longer stitches were topped with french knots – what else! – in a heavier mercerised cotton and I used the same thread for running stitch around the edge.
I attached a pelmet vilene backing with beaded blanket stitch…
…and an odd link I took off a vintage rolled gold watch strap yesterday will make the perfect bale to turn it into a pendant.
Read Full Post »
We had the OFSTED call this week. That acronym might not mean much to anyone who hasn’t been involved in the British education system but OFSTED carry out school inspections. And anyone who has been involved with them will know that they pretty much sow terror, despair and misery in their wake.
I head up our Nurture/Learning Support team and am also the behaviour specialist so it was decided by senior management that the few hard core behaviour problem children we have in school would be taken out of their various classes and corralled in the Nurture Room where instead of lessons they would do something interesting, arty and creative for the duration of the inspection (a day and a half) under my tender care. What I think about this is pretty much unprintable, but as these six boys are often violent and abusive, no one wanted to risk the outcome of the inspection on one of them kicking off.
So I decided that we would felt. First I showed them some pieces of handmade felt and demonstrated how to pull tufts of fleece and lay them out in layers to form a big piece of flat felt (about 70cm by 70cm) for the base of the design. They used blue and white fleece to create a stream running diagonally from one corner to the other and I showed them how to ‘paint’ with tiny wisps of different coloured fleece to make pebbles in the stream.
Then they added different greens all around the stream for grass and bushes and started to create the felt. While they took turns in pairs to roll the huge sausage of felt, bubble wrap, net curtain and fleece, I started the rest off rolling fleece around small balls to make flowers. Once the fleece had felted tightly around the balls I cut slits into the top to make petal shapes and they carried on rolling, watching the slits become holes and the felt gradually shrink further and further down the balls until they became little tight cup shapes.
The next day they made a piece of green felt about 40cm by 30cm and designed some leaf templates. I cut leaves out of the felt while they added stitches and beads to make the centres of the flowers.
Most of them had never embroidered before so we had to give quite a lot of initial support, but several of the boys really took to it and once all the flowers were done they began to add central veins to the leaves with whipped and threaded running stitch.
Once each element was finished they told me where they wanted them putting and I needlefelted the flowers and leaves in place, which worked brilliantly and was much quicker than stitching!
The finished piece:
They are extremely proud of it and I’m just pleased we managed to keep a powder keg dry for the best part of two days.
Read Full Post »
I’ve been playing with small things over the Christmas period, like this single earring drop and a section of a felt sample I made for a lesson at school. Combined and embroidered a bit more, they became the front of a brooch.
Whipped back stitch to hold down the drop with a scrap of thick silk thread couched down underneath it.
The plain lilac felt back was secured with a beaded blanket stitch using some greyish purple delicas…
…and then the natural (deliberately wobbly) bottom edge was finished with a fringe of delicas, seed and pearl beads.
A nice quick little project and a good way of using up odds and ends of beads, threads and felt.
Read Full Post »