Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘eyelet stitch’

Etc. first. I’ve finally completed all the seed stitch background for an embroidered print I started with Chris Gray in July 2016 and last blogged about eighteen months ago, where it looked like this:

dscn2765

It currently looks like this:

20180410_101955_HDR.jpg

Not sure whether to seed stitch the inner circle as well…

I don’t think I’ve shown this piece of upcycling before. One of my mixed lots of junk/vintage jewellery contained a gorgeous brass spinning fob, to which I decided to add some embroidery based on knot gardens.

20170529_100714_HDR.jpg

It’s now got as far as this:

20180410_102036_HDR.jpg

French knot hedges and eyelet stitch flowers in variegated silk.

20180410_102054_HDR.jpg

Near enough to get on and finish now!

Brooches next. I loved the closed fly stitch falling leaves design I stitched for my friend Debbie’s necklace catch a few months ago and decided to do it again on two odd vintage stud earrings which were the same shape and size, but different colours. The initial plan was to make a pair of earrings by covering them with embroidered fabric.

20180314_182739_HDR.jpg

I stitched one and covered it and started on the second.

20180405_084349_HDR.jpg

But the second wasn’t close enough in design  – the leaves were further spaced out. Added to that, the gathered fabric and more crucially, the covered pelmet vilene backs, really made them too bulky to be successful as earrings.

20180405_124843_HDR.jpg

So the posts came off, were replaced with brooch backs and Plan B went into action.  I worked a beaded edging in pearlescent green and metallic copper beads to frame the design and am very pleased with the result which can be found here.

DSCN9393.JPG

The second one is still in production! Most of this stitching was done over the Easter weekend at my parents’ in Suffolk which had to include some beachcombing. I was only allowed a short spell under the pier at Southwold, but still managed to find three nice nuggets of sea glass, a piece of carnelian, a big chunk of tile which has weathered to a lovely faux Medieval feel…

20180410_110516_HDR.jpg

…and some small pieces of driftwood, including one which had a gently shaped front and a flat back perfect for turning into a brooch. I auditioned a fair few piece of broken jewellery to put with it, but when I found this single broken vintage clip on earring of a swallow, it was a perfect match. The plate of the clip was still attached and I used it to mount the swallow onto the driftwood so it stands slightly away from the base, which I like.

DSCN9407.JPG

I’ve called it One Swallow (in hope of some more to make a summer!) and put it into my Etsy shop here.

Read Full Post »

One or two finished and ongoing oddments.

First, the little blackwork project I started back in November with Alison Larkin. Interlaced border next…

DSCN7440.JPG

…nearly there…

DSCN7570

…completed!

DSCN7578.JPG

I can’t believe the last bluework update I posted was at the start of October! It’s gone slowly from this:

DSCN6374

to this:

DSCN7902.JPG

Eyelets as spiky abstract daisies at the bottom.

DSCN7901.JPG

And another shaded long and short stitch flower.

DSCN7903.JPG

Creative mending has been on the agenda as well. I needed to mend a slit right at the front of one of my favourite tops where a thread had given up the ghost. There was no way I was going to make it invisible, so I did the darning…

DSCN7912.JPG

…and added some embroidered trims over the top to make a feature. It’s so good to be wearing this top again, and the motif looks like it was always meant to be there!

DSCN7914.JPG

And lastly, the piece I started as a work in progress for the Stitch Play workshop. It’s so nearly done, I really ought to get it finished!

DSCN8083.JPG

Especially as I have a plan for a biggish stitching project in 2018…

Read Full Post »

After completing the ruched brooch I made with supplies from my Dad’s shed, I still had some scraps of the muslin left. Inspired by the Casalguidi workshop, I decided to add some random pulled work to one of the scraps using four sided stitch and eyelets.

DSCN5508.JPG

That reminded me that I hadn’t rusted anything for a while and I had some gorgeous bits of rusty iron just begging to be wrapped. I think those big spirals may be part of an old clock mechanism.

DSCN5268

After a week or so outside in the alternate pouring rain and baking sun of a typical British summer:

DSCN5274.JPG

DSCN5277.JPG

Lots of possibilities!

I’ve also done a little more of the blue work piece and the second shaded flower is nearly completed.

DSCN5500.JPG

DSCN5504.JPG

Getting there slowly…

Read Full Post »

This was the project at our last Embroiderers’ Guild meeting before our summer break and it was exactly what I needed after a very hectic last week of work. Nothing like sitting quietly with the calming regularity of canvas stitches to restore your soul a little. At the end of the day I had managed to stitch most of the ‘hard landscaping’ of the paths in cushion stitch and ‘planted’ two and a half beds.

Canvaswork pincushion 1

Two in rice stitch…

Canvaswork pincushion 2

…and the half in eyelet stitch.

Canvaswork pincushion 3

I was enjoying myself so much I took it along to our theatre club panto script reading that evening to stitch the rest of the paths and do some more ‘planting’.

Canvaswork pincushion 4

It’s been the perfect project with which to unwind into the holidays.

Read Full Post »