Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Dorset Button’

I’m on a roll!

An upcycled bracelet,

DSCN4434.JPG

Pisces necklace,

20170416_225950_HDR.jpg

Branch necklace,

DSCN4495.JPG

Green daisy necklace,

20170416_230042_HDR.jpg

Broken vintage brooch turned into a pendant

DSCN4487.JPG

…and another upcycled broken brooch. This one does actually have embroidery in it!

The main piece was a ring brooch in lovely condition with all the original stones intact, but no pin, so I got rid of the remains of the pin mountings and decided to fill the middle with a back stitched spider’s web, rather like a Dorset button.

20170417_104209_HDR.jpg

I’d got about a third of the way through the stitching when I looked on the back and decided I preferred that effect. So out it all came and I started again!

20170417_110128_HDR.jpg

Much better.

20170417_110534_HDR.jpg

Filling up the space nicely…

20170417_111120_HDR.jpg

…and completed.

20170417_112004_HDR.jpg

The thread is quite a thickish cotton and the web is really firm and sturdy. The back is neat too, but I’m pleased I chose to restitch it.

20170417_112010_HDR.jpg

I added a vintage bar tie-pin as the brooch back and it covers the scars of the old closure quite nicely.

DSCN4480.JPG

Very pleased with this!

DSCN4478.JPG

The only other sewing I’ve been doing is a major repair job on one of our Scunthorpe Little Theatre Club costumes – a wartime woollen coat that somebody has turned into a pirate captain type coat. Various seams have given way and the gold braid is coming adrift everywhere.

Not creative in quite the same way, but extremely satisfying.

 

Read Full Post »

It’s reading for a new show time again and so I have managed to sit and stitch through a number of small finishes. Firstly, one of the designs Ruth produced for us at November’s Embroiderers’ Guild meeting, made up into a card.

The border is in feather stitch, the centre in a spiral of split stitch, the main oval parts of the petals in Corded Brussels stitch (needlelace) and the ends in satin stitch.

20170126_104820_HDR.jpg

Then I decided to make up a little magazine kit I bought from eBay in 2009. Simple stem stitch and lazy daisy stitch for the wheel barrow and the flowers/leaves.

20170126_095929_HDR.jpg

Then french knot middles to the flowers and my first ever attempt at a Dorset Button for the wheel.

20170126_104835_HDR.jpg

I was fairly pleased with it until I put the kit picture next to it for comparison…

20170126_104937_HDR.jpg

Obviously a technique I need to work on but it has made a nice little card.

Read Full Post »