Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘card’

It’s reading for a new show time again and so I have managed to sit and stitch through a number of small finishes. Firstly, one of the designs Ruth produced for us at November’s Embroiderers’ Guild meeting, made up into a card.

The border is in feather stitch, the centre in a spiral of split stitch, the main oval parts of the petals in Corded Brussels stitch (needlelace) and the ends in satin stitch.

20170126_104820_HDR.jpg

Then I decided to make up a little magazine kit I bought from eBay in 2009. Simple stem stitch and lazy daisy stitch for the wheel barrow and the flowers/leaves.

20170126_095929_HDR.jpg

Then french knot middles to the flowers and my first ever attempt at a Dorset Button for the wheel.

20170126_104835_HDR.jpg

I was fairly pleased with it until I put the kit picture next to it for comparison…

20170126_104937_HDR.jpg

Obviously a technique I need to work on but it has made a nice little card.

Read Full Post »

Belated, but I wish it all the same. :o) And I hope everyone has had a good and peaceful Christmas.

In between trying to organise Christmas early so we could go away, I finally finished the crazy patchwork Christmas tree. After the snow and the wreath, presents underneath, blanket stitched down with Kreinik gold thread.

Presents 1

Tied with a Mulberry silk ‘ribbon’

Presents 2

The bow is a lovely compound of stitches that I saw on the internet somewhere a while ago. Two lazy daisy stitches make up the loops, the knot is a french knot and the trailing ends, two straight stitches. Very simple yet extremely effective.

Presents 3

 

Presents 4

In spite of this, I ended up taking it away and finishing the last two sections off with only my phone camera to take the final shots, so apologies for the quality.

The top left section was seeded with ermine stitch, a vertical straight stitch crossed 2/3 of the way down with an equal armed cross stitch and the existing stars outlined, all in Kreinik gold.

Presents 6

Then, running out of ideas and time, I edged the existing gold pattern middle right with lines of french knots in poppy red Mulberry silk. I also found an iridescent star bead for the top of the tree and little pressed metal dangles to hang on the branch tips.

Presents 5

From a difficult beginning it’s turned out rather well and made a very good card in the end.

Read Full Post »

Now the Christmas crazy patchwork is away, I’ve been able to finish a couple of small projects.

The first was the embroidered rock. Last seen looking like this:

I cut off the excess fabric, gathered it round the edge with running stitch and fitted it over the pebble which had been bound with the offcuts of calico to make it a better size.

You can see the calico underside better in this photo. It’s laced across the bottom to give a snug fit.

The flat embroidery has adapted to the curved surface of the pebble even  better than I hoped.

I used a lovely smoky grey piece of commercial knitted fabric rather than felt for the underside as it was soft and flexible, making it better suited to following the curves of the pebble.

The grey fabric was also gathered with a running stitch but the raw edge was folded inside, leaving the folded edge to be ladder stitched to the calico, just under the line of the embroidery.

I’m very pleased with the finishing. The knitted fabric was very forgiving and happy to be eased into nooks and crannies and the embroidery just fell neatly over the top.

It’s about 4″ long and 2.5″ wide and sits perfectly in the palm of my hand.

The second was a small project rather than finishing an existing one; a card for my husband’s birthday and it proves that the sashiko bug is not yet out of my system.

This time, rather than working a kit, I chose a scrap of indigo dyed cotton and used a shippo variation pattern from Susan Briscoe’s book ‘Japanese Sashiko Inspirations’. I drew it out on paper first to make sure I understood the construction and then used a fabric marker to transfer the design to the fabric.

I stitched the design in some of the variegated sashiko thread I bought at Harrogate in November.

Then I used another piece of indigo dyed cloth to back and frame the piece.

It’s just been mounted onto a piece of card and hidden away until Saturday.

The decks are cleared now for me to finish something that has been hanging around since the summer of 2004. More details to follow!

Read Full Post »