Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘back stitched spiders web’

Only four of us in the group this time, so this one, stitched for Sandra in keeping with her flowers theme, is my last page of the round. I enjoyed discovering new stitches when I stitched Val’s leaves last month, so I went for the same Sue Spargo inspired idea in turquoise and purple/pink.

First new stitch courtesy of Mary Thomas: Braided Edging Stitch. It looks like blanket stitch from the top, but has a lovely chained effect on the edge. Getting the tension right was interesting initially, but I really like the effect.

20170223_183128_HDR.jpg

Then whipped running stitch ‘petals’, using a very slubby pure silk thread for the whipping.

20170224_084308_HDR.jpg

I filled two of the ‘petals’ with Trellis Stitch…

20170224_145259_HDR.jpg

…the top one with Vandyke Stitch (not too happy with the stitching on that, but I needed to work in a thickish thread – the full 6 strands of stranded cotton – to get the right sort of coverage)…

20170224_161419_HDR.jpg

…and the two bottom ones with Buttonhole Filling and a Woven Spiders Web Wheel to hide a multitude of sins in the middle!

20170225_004152_HDR.jpg

The second flower had Berwick Stitch with its lovely edging knots round the outside and then I couched down a line of fabulously soft, thick, loosely twisted, variegated silk to follow the shape.

20170225_013347_HDR.jpg

I decided to use the same thick, soft silk to work Back-stitched Spiders Webs in each of the petals. Foundation stitches first, using a template to make sure they were all the same.

20170225_014229_HDR.jpg

Then adding this glorious silk.

20170225_015740_HDR.jpg

20170225_083840_HDR.jpg

Lastly I filled in the centre with a chain stitch spiral and they were good to go!

20170225_092700_HDR.jpg

Nobody’s book to complete this month so hopefully I can get stuck into the bluework.

Read Full Post »

Nobby the needlefelted snowman. DSCN0518.JPG

Back in September we were given matchboxes at our Embroiderers’ Guild AGM. These were to be decorated for our Christmas meeting in December. I knew exactly what I wanted to do – knit a miniature stocking but I struggled finding suitable wool and then time ran out on me.  So the night before the meeting I took a piece of crimson silk dupion to a pantomime rehearsal (it’s that time of year for our am-dram group) and embroidered it with snowflakes based on 6-armed back-stitched spiders webs embellished with french knots.

DSCN0525

It was a quick job to cover the matchbox when I got home.

DSCN0524

And then to gather some scraps of fleece and needle felt Nobby. A scrap of roving made his scarf.

DSCN0519.JPG

And not only did I just stab myself the once, I also was finished quickly. Nobby snuggled up in the matchbox…

DSCN0532.JPG

… and I managed to get to the meeting without frantically stitching at the last minute. Even better, I put him into the competition and he won!

Read Full Post »