I put the final french knot into my huge piece for the Victorian Box Project two days ago and after nearly 15 months, it was a fabulous feeling!
I stabilised the back before I sent to bed so it could dry overnight and the next morning got the box out ready to attach the stitching. So excited! I laid it over the top of the box and stretched it over the sides and that was then I discovered that it had shrunk somewhere and wasn’t going to fit. Fortunately I have some leeway around the edges, but it’s back to the drawing board for the moment.
So to cheer myself up I picked up the brown and gold sea glass watch case pendant I showed a couple of posts ago.
I love those tiny nuggets of very rare yellow sea glass I picked up at Seaham and the colours work perfectly with the watch case.
I’ve also started a real upcycled piece, creating something from nothing. I started with an offcut of some hand made felt I was cutting up for another project and a piece of bent gold coloured wire that came out of a job lot of broken jewellery. Trimming the felt slightly I evened up the shape and attached the wire with straight stitches in fine silk thread. The longer stitches were topped with french knots – what else! – in a heavier mercerised cotton and I used the same thread for running stitch around the edge.
I attached a pelmet vilene backing with beaded blanket stitch…
…and an odd link I took off a vintage rolled gold watch strap yesterday will make the perfect bale to turn it into a pendant.