Some while ago I planned to upcycle a ring by creating a circular panel of encrusted french knots and eyelets in a variegated blue and rust coloured thread on vilene.
When I came to set the panel into the ring, it was too big and I had to start again. However, I didn’t throw out the rejected blue piece – it sat in my tool box along with other assorted odds and ends and when I found a lovely pair of vintage silver plated clip-on earrings with their cabochons long gone, I knew where that encrusted blue circle was going! All I had to do was to stitch another one.
That done, I was able to finish the earrings yesterday. Little encrusted panels of embroidery at the top and dangles finished with hand made ceramic beads and in my Etsy shop here.
So satisfying to find a use for something that wasn’t quite right first time round!