At our Stitch Club last Saturday I was all set to begin some Ruskin lace work for my last year’s Lake District journal. That was until I realised I’d forgotten to pack a frame. So instead I selected a piece of hand dyed vintage handkerchief, an oddment of slubby thread, a piece of calico to stabilise it and a fine thread to couch with and started to doodle.
It wasn’t entirely aimless. I’m in the middle of some upcycling ideas and one of those was to create a rich jungly background for a single plastic orchid earring and then turn it into a barrette. After I’d doodled the slubby thread all over I added trails of feather stitch over the top in a variegated cotton, made up a pad of felt and pelmet vilene and began to lace the embroidery over it.
Then I stitched on some gorgeous little polymer clay beads – more dangles really – that I’ve had for ages.
Next the orchid went on.
Finally I attached a commercial new barrette clip to a piece of grey felt and blanket stitched it to the back…
…before popping it into my Etsy shop here.
So pleased with it – that earring was just too pretty not to have a new lease of life!