I completed the last section of the crazy patchwork with some wheatear stitch and then forgot to take a photo of the completed flat piece before I stitched it into a tube and inserted the bead. But you get the idea.
Once the wooden bead was inside…
…I stabilised the back of the embroidery that was sticking over the ends with Modge Podge and clipped it like a fringe so I could gradually tuck the ends into the hole of the bead for a neat finish.
To make up into a pendant I used a piece of gold tone wire and threaded on first a handmade glass bead with lovely greeny-brown flowers on a deep dark red base. This sat nicely in the hollow at the end of the embroidered bead. Then I used a hand made clay bead with a slightly metallic gold/green glaze that also nestled nicely into the hollow at the top before turning over the end of the wire to make a bale.
I was going to hang it from a beaded chain, but that quickly proved to look far too busy, so a simple hand dyed ribbon was enough to finish it off.
And it’s in my Etsy shop here.