In the end I secured the sea glass with the same thread that I used for the embroidery, but I tried to echo the geometric shapes of the pulled thread in the way I wrapped the glass nuggets.
At first I really wasn’t sure, but the addition of pattern and texture has grown on me and now when I look back at the earlier photos I feel there’s something missing.
This is the dyed velvet I chose to back it with:
and the two were attached with tiny diagonal stitches across the criss-cross of the warp and weft all the way around before I sealed the edges with modge podge and cut the finished piece out.
The modge podge has completely stopped the fraying and has dried pretty much invisible and I also used it to stick the finished piece into my travelling book.
My inspiration page:
And the finished piece.
I’m ready to get stuck into pulled thread again for my technique piece for our summer exhibition.