As well as messing about with old jewellery, I’ve also been putting the finishing touches to my altered York Minster book. I didn’t have any real aim apart from to play with the pages and images and see what happened.
The cover simply had a quatrefoil border in embossing paste added.
Experiments with transfer medium on a colour photocopy with added background in watersoluble oil pastel. I love this image taken pointing up at the sky.
Stones from a scrap of marbled paper and medieval tiles.
Close up of the tiles. The page has been given a rough coat of gesso followed by a rough coat of brown oil pastel. The ’tiles’ are made from a papier mache medium pressed into a silicon mould, painted and dry brushed and then mounted on little squares of card.
More tile patterns and fantasy mason’s marks, made by putting letter stickers together. There are always a few x, v, z, j etc kicking around on the end of a sheet and it was fun to see what patterns I could make from them.
Dragon boss in flames and medieval dioceses. My first attempt at stitching through ready pierced paper.
Part of the rose window with oil pastels behind and layering two transfers of a painted roof boss.
More mason’s marks. real ones this time, scratched into a heavy layer of gesso on one side of the spread and drawn onto a thinner layer with some assorted facts on the facing page.
More experiments with transfer medium and photocopies. The great seal of York Minster (reversed!) on the left. You can also see the slubby thread I used to stitch it back together, the very old original staples having rusted away.
My found poem pages. The rest of the text is obscured by layers of gesso and iridescent watercolours and the words are joined with rub down transfers of gold dotted lines. The pages are interleaved with wrapping acetate from a posh shop!
More experiments with transfer medium, this time onto clear acetate sheet, using patterns from the Five Sisters window which is referenced in the original text. The images on the right are mounted above a paper copy of the pattern using spacers.
A transfer medium green man with oil pastels and embossing paste foliage on the left. On the right, two left-over images from the Five Sisters window have been stuck on the page, the ‘panes’ cut out with a craft knife and painted gauze stuck behind. Painted gesso covered card strips form the masonry around the ‘window’.
The gauze ‘stained glass window’ with the light behind it.
The back of the gauze with embossing paste patterns and the same stencil used as a rubbing for the ‘cope chest’.
The silk brocade contents of the ‘cope chest’.
And the ‘richly embroidered jewelled copes’ page using a pricking tool for the embroidery and Stewart Gill paints and glitter medium for extra sparkle!
A rose and text fragment with stick-on edging.
The final page – the Minster and the Roman fort.
And the back cover – assorted stars, gesso and paint with the pamphlet stitch re-stitched spine.
It’s been fun.
But still in my heart of hearts, I can hear the scandalised whisper of my conscience,
“You drew in a book…”