I am so pleased with this one! It started off as a very basic white metal vintage brooch.
I just thought the holes were an ideal place to put some embroidery, so I started by colouring some pelmet vilene.
And then drew round the holes to give me a template for how much space I had to stitch into. Straight stitches in a single strand of variegated silk thread gave me the grassy meadow and lazy daisy stitches gave the middle section a bit of variation.
Then the french knots, again in a single strand of variegated silk thread.
Next I made a careful template of the brooch shape, with cut outs for the clasp and cut the embroidery to fit.
After it had been carefully attached to the back of the brooch, I added another bit of vilene to cover the back of the stitching.