The applique cover of this little book experiment has been finished a while, so the next step was to cover the back of the embroidery with a lining.
I chose some hand dyed purple and turquoise feather-light silk and turning over the raw edges as I went, ladder stitched it to the back of the cover.
Finally, I divided the medley of papers into three signatures and used a beaded long stitch binding to attach them to the spine – not easy through two layers of shifting fabric!
A little selection of iridescent seed beads, matte bugles and interesting triangular beads work well together for the binding and the blue thread I used blends into the denim for the unbeaded stitches.
The thickness of the denim layers really helps it to stand up on its own.
It’s a pretty rugged little notebook! I’ve really enjoyed putting it together and even, better, the concept worked just as I’d hoped. Not often that happens!