…is all I seem to have managed this half term.
I finally got round to giving the silk thread I had painted with silk paints a more thorough coat of yellow, going from this, with too many pale areas:
To this, dried, fixed and all neatly wound and ready for use:
I found a piece of tiny cross stitch knot garden work that I’d started at an Embroiderers’ Guild meeting ages ago and finished off the back stitch on that. I’m not sure what the count of the aida is, but each motif is about an inch square and is worked in a single strand of stranded silk.
I also rediscovered a canvaswork brooch from a kit that I’d worked all apart from the edging last Easter. I didn’t like the sparkly black chainette the kit contained for the edging and so I substituted a thick soft silk in a very dark blue.
I might well have rejected the chainette on the grounds that it would be difficult to sew with – the silk is a complete nightmare! You get one easy stitch (the first pass through the canvas) and then it snags, twists and knots on everything from the edges of the canvas to your fingers. No wonder I didn’t finish it at the time! But now I’m so close to a finish, I’m using very short lengths and using it as an exercise in patience and acceptance!
So I decided to let it star in its own piece of stitching, curled into a spiral and caged with feather stitch in sandy shades on a hand dyed piece of cotton in toning colours.
Beads and dangles are caught in the feather stitch like snagged debris.
The organic shape and natural colours of the feather stitch and the way it was partially hiding the rope strand, made me think of the way sea life grows on and around the waste we dump into it and led to the split stitch caption: reclaimed by the sea…..
Back to work tomorrow, but I’m hoping most of the children in my class will have completed the Artists’ Trading Card challenge I set them for half term homework.