Looking for something else, as is often the way, I found some silk paints/dyes in a cupboard which came from a completed kit. I’d recently won a pack of white Mulberry silk threads in varying weights on eBay and I decided the other week to leave my altered book for a while and play with the silk dyes and thread. I only had the primary colours, black and for some obscure reason, salmon pink, but it was a good place to start.
Firstly, yellow and blue, shading nicely to green as I’d hoped.
Somehow a touch of purple seems to have crept into the blue.
Green, mixed from the yellow and blue, and that odd salmon colour.
I rather like the slight russety tones in it, but it’s still too pink for me, so I think I’m going to go over the whole skein in yellow.
That produced quite quick results, so with all the silk stuff out, I then went for a bit of shibori with strips of light weight silk and a piece of dowelling. First, poppy red and royal blue.
Dried and unwrapped.
I prefer my second effort in red and black.
Some lovely markings in such vibrant colours.
Definitely something to explore further.
A good reason (and the only good reason!) to get the iron out!!