To be honest, I actually finished it before I went on holiday as that was when I needed it, but what with the Etsy shop, a trip to Suffolk and more school work than you could shake a stick at, I’ve only just had the chance to post about the finished item.
After I machine stitched some cream satin ribbon over the edges so it could stand up to the sort of handling I was expecting it to get, I covered the cream ribbon with some silk organza ribbon in pale green, just to tone down the cream and tie the colour more closely to the blues and greens of the book and hand stitched it in place with feather stitch.
Then it was time to put the inside pages together. The kit from the workshop had come with a selection of pages and tags and I embellished them further, adding some oddments of my own and some, like the flowers and leaves, that we’d been given on the workshop.
I folded this lovely piece of hand made paper into a pocket and later blanket stitched up the sides.
This was a ready made miniature envelope which I coloured with water soluble oil pastels and embossed the flap with a shell and tiny star.
Some of the pages were decorated with flowers or embossed with the shell and star motif.
Across the right hand page is a scrap of dyed tissue from the workshop which I found on the floor and couldn’t bear to throw away!
A stitched down leaf.
I like that some of the pages unfolded further.
Time to put it all together, using a simple pamphlet stitch which also caught down the gold organza ribbon I’d chosen as a closure at the spine.
Ready for holiday. No rules this time, no plans, just a bag of embroidery supplies and an open mind. I’ll show you some of the things that came out of that mind set soon. 🙂