I’ve been carrying on with my goal of sorting and rationalising all my ‘stuff’ this year and after a useful amount of space gained by getting rid of books and magazines that I won’t read again, I was onto the corner of the lounge where I tend to store my in progress work. There was an awful lot still in progress, so I decided to get finishing.
First, a new brooch. The brown coiled middle was made as a working example for a workshop session I taught at our Embroiderers’ Guild in the spring and the short fat dreadlocks I made at school at least two years ago.
Combined, I liked the effect, so I stitched the dreads onto the back of the spiral and then found some gold, raspberry pink and milk chocolate coloured beads for the edging.
The back is simply finished with a circle of felt with the brooch back stitched to it and then blanket stitched onto the reverse of the spiral, hiding all the construction stitches.
I’ve also moved on with my journal cover. First I finished off the hand stitching. French knots (I decided against beads) in the centre of some of the machine patterns, the chain stitch completed and threaded with slubby thread and the threaded running stitch re stitched with smaller stitches and whipped with stranded variegated silk.
On the front, more french knots, both on machine and hand stitched elements and pekinese stitch along a line of machine straight stitching.
Then I stuck the end papers to the reverse of the cover.
As this is going to be my holiday journal this year it’s going to be in and out of bags and well handled so I was a bit concerned about how well the edges would stand up to that sort of treatment. I decided to use some satin ribbon to bind them.
Using my own ancient and dearly beloved Frister and Rossmann I stitched the ribbon down. The front:
And the back:
I know the cream is a contrast but to tie in with the organza layers I intend to layer it over with silk organza ribbon. Probably hand stitched down – there is only so far I can stay out of my comfort zone!