Saturday was Scunthorpe Embroiderers’ Guild Showcase – Open Day and a wonderful event it was too, from the hall packed with embroidery displays, sellers’ stalls and tables to sit and drink tea and eat cakes to the two inspirational workshops.
I wasn’t able to attend the morning one but was looking forward to the afternoon workshop “A small garden journal” with Christine Plummer. I wasn’t too sure about the advertised machine embroidery element, not being a sewing machine user, but I loved it and although I didn’t quite finish the cover or the making up, this is what I brought home:
As you can see, I ended up with a fair amount of machine stitching!!
The process was fascinating. At the bottom, and mostly hidden by the layers, is a garden themed magazine photo. We then ironed a piece of vilene onto the back to stabilise it…
…and stuck down strips of ready prepared brusho dyed papers and bits torn from magazines across the image to alter it. Then I ripped strips of organza and machine stitched them across the image using a straight stitch before I started to hand stitch into the piece.
Going back to the sewing machine to reattach a piece of organza that was flapping, I discovered that the stitch had been changed to one of the pre-programmed stitches only after I’d started stitching. It was a lovely effect and with a very little investigation, I discovered how to change the stitch. I know this must make me sound a real techno-phobe but as the only sewing machine I use will be 100 in about 13 years, it’s all a bit new.
But I pick up things quickly and then there was no stopping me!
You can see some of the torn magazine photos (the spiky shapes) just to the right of the turquoise stars. The chain stitch will be finished and threaded with a thicker thread but I’ll be taking the threaded running stitch on the right out and redoing that bit.
I love the satin stitched leaf pattern and used it several times. Also the flower and vine pattern, to which I want to add some hand stitching and beading.
The meandering running stitch and flat turquoise beads worked well too. I really like the contrast between the machine and hand stitching and the crescent shaped swags were another good find.
Hand and machine feather stitch and another blank space. I really like the paper behind it, so not sure whether to leave it plain or not. I might just whip the machine back stitch with some toning metallic filament.
We also had some yummy packs of wonderful papers in the same toning colour range, including a piece for the endpapers, pages with different sizes and flaps, tags etc. all to be added.
It’s put together with a simple pamphlet stitch binding so I wasn’t worried about not assembling it at the time. I’m going to add in some more pockets and envelopes and it’s going to be my Cornish holiday journal for this year. We’re going away with friends so less chance to sew and this will be perfect for fragments, scraps and ephemera.