I turned the rest of my scrap silver into a flat sheet and cut a section for the shank of the ring which I textured with lace before cutting out the shape I’d designed for the shank.
The shank formed and soldered.
I don’t know if it’s me, but the silver seemes more ready to melt and reticulate than the brass I’ve used for most of my work and the solder joint actually fused and reticulated slightly.
So there was a fair amount of cleaning up to do…
…before I could get to this point.
I managed to clean up the mess at the back fairly successfully so was extra careful when soldering the cup onto the shank. It was looking like a textbook solder…when the back of the shank suddenly slumped and I ended up with another fused reticulated mess, and one that is going to be less easy to sort than the back. :o(
It was literally half a second and by the time I’d pulled the torch off, the damage was done.
Luckily I’d always intended that this was to be for me and the ring still fits nicely, the fusing being hidden when it’s worn.
A learning experience and the end result, although flawed, is still unusual and wearable.