I’ve been soldering, polishing and finally getting some of my pieces close to being finished as well as starting some new pieces which I’m really excited about.
First the green encrusted pendant.
I just needed to trim the bale rod, as I’d soldered the bale slightly off centre, and polish it before slipping it over the fabric and crimping the partial tube closed.
The two bales I cut and shaped from sheet brass were soldered, finished and polished as well.
Then one was stitched onto the first pendant. I used orange stranded cotton and ran it through the bale and the fabric several times before buttonhole stitching the section on the right where the asymmetric nature of the piece means that it doesn’t sit flush to the fabric.
Organza ribbon and rattail in warm gold and beige in place of a chain.
And here is the start of my new piece – in fact, new pieces, as at least two different ideas have come out of this one piece of reticulated brass.
It’s interesting cutting through reticulated brass with a piercing saw as the surfaces are so heavily textured and also the thickness of the brass varies widely. It’s actually harder to saw through the very thin layers as they just twist and break, often taking the slender saw blade with them.
And I’ve still got another circle to cut from the large waste piece.
So, the very start of one new project…
… and another.
And hopefully I should soon be able to show you what I’ve done with this: