The fire pendant is almost ready for making up and on my course this week I managed to get a number of other things ready to start the embroidery stage.
The fire pendant has had the bullions added and is off the hoop to make way for another piece.
The bullions were quite awkward to do as they go over the metal, so there’s no give when you put the back stitch in and also the thread is very fine and that made it difficult to pull the loops through evenly, but it’s a start to exploring ideas for attaching the metal to the fabric.
The week before last I reticulated another piece of brass which holed quite nicely, but was very concentrated in one spot.
The texture is wonderful, reminding me of a volcano, but I wanted to enlarge the hole and get rid of the smooth areas, so that was one of my first jobs this week.
After a long session with the saw and the rest of the evening in the barreller, smoothing the edges and polishing it, it looks like this.
The edge is all completely hand sawn, with my heart in my mouth lest I snap the impossibly thin and fragile blade as I twisted it round the contours of the reticulation and I just love the fine almost organic edge I’ve managed to get.
I plan to mount it on black silk and continue the volcano theme with embroidery in vivid red and orange with some goldwork threads and then finish it either as a brooch or another pendant.