…and then wanted to do something in the middle. I initially thought a random patch of beading or possibly chipwork and since the beads were easier to get to than the goldwork stuff, I started with beads, stitched about thirty on and didn’t like it. The edge needed to be more clearly defined and the beads themselves gave too heavy an effect.
So I hunted out my goldwork threads and started to play with different layouts and ideas. When I found a piece of pearl purl and laid it in a curve around the edge of the central area, I knew this was what I wanted.
I was going to simply cut the purl when I got to the middle and leave it as a straightforward spiral, but I saw the way the working end flicked across the spiral and felt it was a neater and more unusual way of finishing.
It’s been a real slow process thinking my way through this very small project but I’ve been able to do something different and even better, when I was going through my gold work threads I found a selection in copper which I’d forgotten I had (oh the shame…) and which I’ve put on one side for possible inclusion in the rusting quilt.