With the turquoise sea glass commission completed and looking like this:
then it’s time to move on to something else.
Our branch of the Embroiderers’ Guild is having an Open Day in July and one of the things we will be doing is to make cushions for a ‘Cushion Challenge’ which will then be sold to raise money for branch funds. If I can, I prefer to use/finish/reuse something rather than starting from scratch and I recently unearthed an almost completed piece of experimental work I’d done from a kit several years ago.
It was a fused fabric kit, with lots of snippets of fabric, fibres, threads, beads etc to be layered on calico, sprinkled with fusing powder, covered with a piece of organza and then ironed together. I enjoyed making the fused fabric so much I had a couple more goes at the technique using the surplus bits from the kit, including the loose cover that goes on my school diary, but this piece lapsed rather…
Because of the way the snippets are built up, the fusing doesn’t always work evenly and so I used oddments of various threads to embroider wavy lines in chain stitch over the surface.
This adds texture and depth and more importantly, keeps things together!
Especially here, where I got a bit too handy with the iron and partially melted the organza. The shisha hides some of it and the chain stitch stabilises the rest.
I’m going to put it back into the hoop and have a look at the overall composition before I finish it off and make it up into the central panel of a cushion cover. I’ve even found some deep blue silk dupion in the same bag that I’d obviously picked out for that very reason.