This is what happened to my ‘Nuts’ (The frosted AB delicas from the Darning Needle fans block) next!
I had a not very heavily rusted section of wide, flat seam and given the thickness of the fabric layers, it seemed like an ideal piece to work a line of Butterfly Oglala.
First I laid down my basic line of beads. I use a sort of back stitch technique where I pick up three beads, put the needle into the fabric at the end of where they lay, come up behind two of them and then stitch through those two again before picking up the next three. I’ve no idea where I got it from but it works for me.
Then the butterflying. I’ve used three beads. I come up through the first bead, thread my three beads on for the frill, miss a bead and then put the needle through the next bead so the three beads are squashed up and stand away from the base line.
I used mostly the same beads, but in one or two places I made the middle of the three butterflying beads something different – a malachite chip or a copper seed bead, to give some visual interest.
Then I filled the background with seeding stitches in a wonderful hand dyed Caron cotton thread to echo the shades in the brown delicas and the hints of green malachite.
Oops, I need to carefully dab out the removable marker lines!
The blocks are starting to mount up now and I think I’ve finally worked out how to tackle my next one.