I’m not through with making these little fabric journals yet. I’ve used other people’s dyeing experiments and it occurred to me that I still had some oddments of fabric left that I’d dyed with red cabbage – just about enough for another journal. Silk, top middle and bottom left, lace and some cotton bottom right.
I used the silk in the middle (a scrap of overdyed yellow silk dupion) to cover the back, leaving it plain to showcase the tie dyed pattern.
I added some of the hand made lace on the right of the top photo to the heavy weight sample of silk satin bottom left. I hadn’t dyed any thread when I did all the fabric (an oversight for which I was kicking myself) but I found some Kates Kloths silk thread in very pale space dyed lilac which was a perfect match for the subtle shades of the red cabbage dyed silk and used it to embellish the lace and the fabric with french knots and running stitches.
Then I covered the second board to make the lace piece into the front cover.
Two covers done and now the backings to sew on.
Some quiet stitching for a snowy night…