For the next block in my rusting piece I’ve managed to turn this:
As I blogged previously, I was having problems ruching up the soft rusted cotton using french knots and so decided to use very small stab stitches instead, which would either be hidden by the clusters of french knots, or be so small as to not be noticeable.
I found an oddment of thin pale orange cotton and that proved to be perfect for ruching the cotton down into place. You can see some of the stitches in these close ups but the colour means they don’t look unsightly.
The rusting gives such an wonderfully intense colour to the fabric.
Now the task of nestling the french knots into the folds.
It’s a nice, quiet but probably going to be rather lengthy process, perfect for cold November evenings.