The first ever dyeing I did with avocado skins and pits I pretty much made up as I went along, so the wonderful shades of coppery pink I got were doubly pleasing.
I decided to put all the bits I’d dyed – antique and modern lace, ribbon, scraps of silk and cotton, aida, grosgrain ribbon, ricrac braid, hand made crochet lace etc. all together into one long cloth, embroidered with the threads I’d dyed at the same time and some wonderful toning stranded silk threads I’d bought.
That was eighteen months ago.
Jacobean laid work in silk on silk matka, which takes on the dye so intensely.
Perle thread dyed at the same time on ricrac braid.
Another offcut of the spotted voile I used for Miss Murdstone’s house cap. The spots turned into a diapering pattern with french knots and lazy daisy stitches in stranded silk.
Heavier avocado dyed perle-type thread couched down onto silk matka with silk stranded thread.
In the centre, a scrap of vintage broderie anglaise trim with eyelets for a contrasting ribbon – in this case a synthetic modern one which didn’t really pick up much of the dye.
I love the way the perle continues to dance across the fraying edges.
I keep working on it a bit at a time, on and off, between other projects. It’s about three times the size of the pieces I normally work in my hand without a hoop which can make it a bit awkward but it’s good to keep coming back to.